Skip to main content

Why do I choose a frugal lifestyle?

I think it is important to be aware that my fiance and I are lucky; for us frugality is a conscious choice. We were both born into middle class families with loving parents who have supported us. We are both college educated, in fact we both hold advanced degrees (though mine came with a lot of student loan debt) and we are both employed in good jobs. It was a struggle to get here, we both graduated around the beginning of the economic crisis in 2008, but we are still very fortunate to be where we are.

Even though we have struggled at times, we are still luckier than a lot of other people because for us living a frugal lifestyle is mostly a choice. One we have made in part, in response to economic insecurity in our past but also for other reasons, so why do we live the frugal life?

Frugality gives us choice and reduces stress
I don't find living below our means to be a deprivation, in fact I feel like it opens up a lot of choices for us. A frugal lifestyle allows us to save money and having savings provides security for us. We don't worry about paying the mortgage or keeping the lights on because we have money in the bank should something unexpected happen.

As prime example of this, last year my fiance was at a terrible job. The company had really declined after hiring a new manager and the staff were being treated horribly with constantly shifting schedules, being berated for taking "breaks" of even 30 seconds and 3 members of the 10 person staff were fired in just a few months (1 of them had been at the company for 6 years!). Thankfully, my fiance was in the final stage of an interview for another position but because his job had become so unbearable, he was able to quit the bad company while he waited a few weeks for the final approval of the new job.

If we wouldn't have had savings to cover a few months of living expenses, he wouldn't have been able to do this in case the new job didn't come through, it would have been too much of a risk. But since we live frugally and have savings, even if he didn't get the new job job we could've made ends meet for several months while he kept looking.

A lower budget means less stress and more security.

Consumerism is bad for the environment
Shopping as hobby, overbuying and consuming just to consume waste the valuable resources of our planet. I am far from a minimalist but I try to aim for some awareness that the resources of our planet are finite. I have a long way to go here...my fiance is much better (he seriously loves thrift stores). Buying fewer things and using up what we have helps.

Even striving to live a frugal lifestyle I still have a full closet and usually way more than I need of everything. I try to only buy clothes that really speak to me as something I will wear many times and are of good quality but it is also an area where I could improve.

In other areas I do better - I do some meal planning to keep food waste low and we don't buy all the latest tech gizmos, instead aiming to keep our phones and laptops until they completely break.

We don't want to work forever
I like my job and my company is a great place to work but I still don't want to work forever. I would like to be able to retire early and travel with my partner in crime while we're still youngish. In order to realize that dream, we need to save and invest. We bought our first rental property last year and I would eventually like to own 3 or 4 so we can live off of the rental income. In order to make this dream a reality, we need to save money so we can invest it.

These are the main reasons we choose to spend our money thoughtfully, avoiding spending that doesn't give us joy or meet a need. What inspired your frugal lifestyle?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trader Joe's Weight Watchers shopping list

Trader Joe's has long been one of my favorite places to grocery shop! Not only do they have staples but they have amazing frozen food and lots of unique items that other stores don't carry. It's basically a hippie paradise of alternative foods. It's also amazing when you don't have lot of time to cook or meal prep because they have so many great pre-made and frozen foods. We can't meal prep all the time now can we? The really annoying thing about my TJ's store is there is NO internet or cell reception! Which means I cannot check point values while I'm in the store. Thus, it has been challenging for me to shop there and took a lot of trips to put this list together. If there are other must-haves from TJs please comment and I will update! If you're looking to save a few bucks on more basic items, check out my Aldi shopping list here . Or if you are new to WW check out my tips for getting your kitchen ready. All point values below were upda

Weight Watchers on a budget - Aldi shopping list

I joined Weight Watchers in an attempt to get healthy! While I thought I ate pretty healthy, there was a lot of sugar and carbs in my diet and not enough vegetables. To keep WW more affordable, I recommend shopping mostly at Aldi where fruit and vegetables are very affordable compared to "mainstream" stores. If you're new to Aldi, c heck out my post on shopping there as it has a few quirks. If you need help with kitchen equipment that can help you with WW, check out my post on preparing your kitchen for success . I also really like Trader Joe's for fancier items, check out my TJs shopping list for WW  before your next trip there. So what should you buy to help you on your WW journey? All point values below were updated in March 2021 on the MyWW+ program, the points listed are for the blue plan. I recommend using your scanner to double check point values. Let's start with the fun stuff, the snacks! A lot of my snacks on the program are fruits and raw v

Frugal weight loss solutions - itrackbites review

Last year, I bit the bullet and paid for a weight loss program for the first time with a goal to lose 20lbs. I did Weight Watchers online for about 6 months, after my intro price ended it was $20 a month but I did loose the weight I wanted. Now, for something that works, $20 a month doesn't feel like too much to me and I wasn't doing well with the free solutions like My Fitness Pal. I think when there is money on the line I am more willing to do the hard work! Nevertheless, I want to save money wherever I can. In some online Weight Watchers groups, I heard about itrackbites. It's basically a Weight Watchers knock off and I do like a good generic! Itrackbites has several free options for old Weight Watchers plans and a lot of people use it when they want to follow an older plan. For the newest Weight Watchers plan, Freestyle, you have to pay for the yearly fee. This also gives you access to some additional options on the itrackbites app like the food scanner and a restau