Skip to main content

How I use credit card points to save cash or "credit card hack"

My wallet is full!
We like eating out, going to movies, traveling, and having a nice house. All of the things that cost so much money! A few years ago, I started “credit card hacking” to earn some side money for the things we’d otherwise using our money for, this is my approach!

If you have trouble controlling your spending or you are in credit card debit, these suggestions are not for you.

I have a two prong approach for using credit card points to generate extra cash:
  • Taking advantage of signup bonuses
  • Maximizing every day cash back

First, I chase the occasional sign up bonus. Do you know that credit cards will give you 100s of dollars for signing up to a new account? How crazy is that?

When you sign up for a new account, they will offer you a sign up bonus which can be worth $500 or more after having your account for at least 3 months and meeting a minimum spend, usually at least $3,000 during those 3 months. A few times a year, I will sign up for a new credit card to take advantage of a sign up bonus. I look at three factors when evaluating what card I should sign up for:
  1. How big is the bonus? I normally want several 100 in value from the bonus, finding offers with $500 value is not uncommon. A lot of companies will offer $100-200 but I usually skip these and only go for the big ones.
  2. How high is the spending threshold? The "normal" amount is 3,000 in 3 months and I know I can get that with my normal spending without a lot of difficulty but sometimes it can be as much as 5,000 in 3 months which is trickier for me. If the spending threshold is high and I don't have any larges expenses coming up, I'll think twice about it.
  3. Is there an annual fee? And if there is, is it waived the first year? A lot of cards will waive the fee the first year, if the fee is waived, I just make sure to cancel the card before the fee is applied in year 2. If the fee isn't waived the first year I will weigh this cost against the value of the bonus but usually I don't like  paying a fee, even for a big bonus because there is always the risk I don't get the offer for some reason or it ends up redeeming for less value than I thought it would.
First, I’m not too serious about this approach, I mostly use it to get travel paid for when we go on vacation. There are people who credit card hack constantly and chase every possible bonus. Any points I have leftover after vacation use, I will usually get gift cards for Amazon, Target or T.J. Maxx – someplace where I can buy almost anything I happen to need. To me, an Amazon gift card is basically as good as cash. Or if I need clothes I might get a Banana Republic gift card or Home Depot to pick up some house supplies. But Groupon is one of my favorite redemption options because I can buy almost anything from them - a comforter set, a local cleaning service for a treat or local restaurant for date night!

When I redeem my points, I pay attention to what the redemption rate is and I want to get at least 1 cent per point. For some gift cards, they require a lot more points for the same value cards than others, so I avoid these and look for ones that offer more value. This seems to be especially prevalent with American Express redemptions. I also find that the redemption for hotels is bad so I try to use my points for flights or will get gift cards for other things I would be buying, which frees up money for a trip.

I don’t chase too many sign up bonuses because you have to keep track of details for every one (sign up date, minimum spend needed, card cancellation date) and instead just do the few best ones each year. If I see a really good offer or if I know I have a lot of expenses coming up, I will plan ahead and use these to meet the spending for 1 or 2 card bonuses.

To find the best bonuses I look at thepointsguy.com when I'm thinking about getting a new card and see what the top offers are but there are a bunch of websites which will not only show you the best offers but how to redeem for the most money. Flyertalk is also helpful for getting and redeeming your airline miles.

My second strategy is to make sure I to get the most of out of my every day spending. I put every single thing possible on a credit card. I never pay cash and I never use my debit card unless I have to. I would put my mortgage on my credit card if I could. I also pay off every card, every month. If you are carrying a balance and paying interest, then the points you are getting in exchange aren’t worth it and you are spending too much.

If I’m chasing a signup bonus, I put everything I buy on that card until I hit it but otherwise I have a few go-to cards that I use for my daily spending. First, is my Citi Double Cash card. It gets 2% cash back on everything so it’s my default. I also use the Chase Amazon card for restaurant and Amazon purchases because it gets me more than 2% back in those categories. Lastly, I use the Chase Freedom card for anything that is in the rotating 5% cash back category, but this is another thing I have to keep track of, so lots of times I just use the Citi double cash. My fiance calls this "credit card roulette" because I will be at the cashier trying to remember which card I should use! I have on occasion kept a cheat sheet in my wallet.

I generally get a few hundred dollars in cash back every few months, usually in the form of gift cards or a flight somewhere. I don’t pay anything in fees and buy things that I was going to buy anyway.

As of May this year I have gotten the following for free with points:

  • $100 Home depot gift cards
  • $125 Groupon gift cards (3 restaurant vouchers, comforter set, sheet set and more)
  • $25 Red Lobster gift cards
  • $50 Maggianos gift cards
  • $50 Amazon gift cards
  • $50 T.J. Maxx/Marshalls/HomeGoods gift cards
  • $50 JC Penny gift cards
  • $25 Banana Republic gift cards
  • $100 off flight on Southwest
  • 6 movie tickets (~$90)
My fiance and I have gotten a crazy amount of points lately because we were paying the deposits and such for our wedding and I set it up so we could use that spending to hit 2-3 sign up bonuses. This is higher that we would normally spend and more bonuses than we'd normally chase but the higher spending made them easy to hit. Plus it's really nice to get something back after spending a small fortune on our wedding!

If you are in a couple, you can do a signup in each of your names, so we get more points because we both will do it when it's a good offer. We still have more points that we can redeem throughout the year and some airline miles we got. We plan to use some to pay for part of our honeymoon.

Are you a credit card hacker? I would love to hear your tips! What's the best thing you've gotten for free?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trader Joe's Weight Watchers shopping list

Trader Joe's has long been one of my favorite places to grocery shop! Not only do they have staples but they have amazing frozen food and lots of unique items that other stores don't carry. It's basically a hippie paradise of alternative foods. It's also amazing when you don't have lot of time to cook or meal prep because they have so many great pre-made and frozen foods. We can't meal prep all the time now can we? The really annoying thing about my TJ's store is there is NO internet or cell reception! Which means I cannot check point values while I'm in the store. Thus, it has been challenging for me to shop there and took a lot of trips to put this list together. If there are other must-haves from TJs please comment and I will update! If you're looking to save a few bucks on more basic items, check out my Aldi shopping list here . Or if you are new to WW check out my tips for getting your kitchen ready. All point values below were upda

Weight Watchers on a budget - Aldi shopping list

I joined Weight Watchers in an attempt to get healthy! While I thought I ate pretty healthy, there was a lot of sugar and carbs in my diet and not enough vegetables. To keep WW more affordable, I recommend shopping mostly at Aldi where fruit and vegetables are very affordable compared to "mainstream" stores. If you're new to Aldi, c heck out my post on shopping there as it has a few quirks. If you need help with kitchen equipment that can help you with WW, check out my post on preparing your kitchen for success . I also really like Trader Joe's for fancier items, check out my TJs shopping list for WW  before your next trip there. So what should you buy to help you on your WW journey? All point values below were updated in March 2021 on the MyWW+ program, the points listed are for the blue plan. I recommend using your scanner to double check point values. Let's start with the fun stuff, the snacks! A lot of my snacks on the program are fruits and raw v

Frugal weight loss solutions - itrackbites review

Last year, I bit the bullet and paid for a weight loss program for the first time with a goal to lose 20lbs. I did Weight Watchers online for about 6 months, after my intro price ended it was $20 a month but I did loose the weight I wanted. Now, for something that works, $20 a month doesn't feel like too much to me and I wasn't doing well with the free solutions like My Fitness Pal. I think when there is money on the line I am more willing to do the hard work! Nevertheless, I want to save money wherever I can. In some online Weight Watchers groups, I heard about itrackbites. It's basically a Weight Watchers knock off and I do like a good generic! Itrackbites has several free options for old Weight Watchers plans and a lot of people use it when they want to follow an older plan. For the newest Weight Watchers plan, Freestyle, you have to pay for the yearly fee. This also gives you access to some additional options on the itrackbites app like the food scanner and a restau