Skip to main content

Things I've cut to keep our budget slim

I am often thinking about starting a side business to earn extra cash - sewing, soap-making and recently I while planning our wedding I thought about being a "day of coordinator" for weddings - but then I remember, that I already have a full-time job and if anything, I want more free time, not less! This is why I focus on reducing spending, in order to save money.

These are things I cut out to keep our budget slim!

1) Tracking spending

For me, the first step in reducing our budget was understanding where the money was going. I've been using mint.com to track spending for about 3 years and I absolutely love it. It auto-categorizes every transaction paid with any of my linked credit cards and I can make adjustments as needed. I love the graphs that show spending over time and net income.

There are some other software applications such as You Need a Budget but I like mint. It's free and generally works well.

When you first start to do this, you will probably be shocked at where your money is going. $3+ for coffee every morning really does add up! For me, I was surprised how much I spent on clothes and also groceries. When I first setup my Mint budget, I thought a $30 a month clothing budget was fine, since most months I buy nothing but then a month rolled around where I spent $200 in one month and realized that when I buy, I buy a lot.

2) Cable

Honestly, the main reason we had cable was because they offered us a package so it was cheaper than just having internet alone! We only watched it once, during the Olympics! When our promotion expired, our bill was suddenly $120 a month for basic cable and internet. We cut the cable and got back down to about $60.

We're not exactly living light still - we pay 9.99 per month for Netflix and 8.25 per month for Amazon Prime ($99 per year includes streaming, shipping and other benefits) but even for both services, we still pay less than a cable subscription. You could event tack on HBO Now for 14.99 a month and come out ahead. Even when we had cable, we were mostly watching Netflix.

3) Eating out, most of it

We got into a really good habit of eating at home when we lived in a semi-rural location and couldn't get anything delivered, the nearest take out was a 20 minute drive one-way. I could cook something in that amount of time!

We still eat out but budget for it. We currently have 200/month budgeted which is a lot still, and can be one spendy meal or 2 budget eating out meals per week for the 2 of us. If we go someplace extra special for a birthday or anniversary, we might go over a little but we usually try to make it up the rest of the month by eating at home more often.

But we avoid eating out lunches and getting coffee out, which saves us a lot of money.

4) Mindful grocery shopping

As we're not college students anymore, we don't want to subsist on Ramen noodles but we still try to keep our grocery budget under control. I budget 100 per week for the two of us for a total of 400 per month. Honestly, we don't always spend that much but if we have a party, we might spend more. I still consider this to be a pretty generous budget. We both like food and we eat well but we keep our food budget reasonable by doing the following:
  • Limited pre-packaged food. We don't buy frozen entrees usually or pre-chopped, pre-cut or pre-marinated anything, which also helps keep our budget down. Now, if having pre-prepped stuff ready to go will help keep you from eating out then buy it, you'll still come out ahead.
  • Most of our meat is chicken or turkey and we use smallish quantities. I am often shocked at how expensive beef is! We usually use ground turkey in place of ground beef and eat a lot of chicken both for the cost savings and the health benefits. Usually if I splurge it's for fish which is healthier. I think it's been almost a year since I bought steak and that's because there was a buy one get one free sale at Target.
  • Shopping mostly at Aldi. I wrote a whole post on great deals to be found at Aldi. I can usually buy a whole week's worth of groceries at Aldi for about $70 including a few splurge items and lots of fresh produce. 
One area where we could do better is reducing our food waste. We don't waste a lot but it can be hard to  balance having enough food prepared so we don't have to eat out with making sure we eat everything before it goes bad.

5) Excess clothes

Sometimes I feel like being a cute, well-dressed woman requires so much stuff! It can be hard to resist buying all of the cute things you see coworkers wearing at the office. I try to strike a balance here by shopping only a few times a year and only buying things I really love as opposed to chasing every trend but, I'll admit sometimes it's hard.

In reality, I never "need" clothes I just want to wear something new. I try to keep it under control by only buying 1-2 items at a time so I get the new feeling a little more often, and I only buy on sale. You can also shop a

For us, we try to cut out things that don't add to our happiness to keep room for savings. What areas of your budget have you worked to reduce?

This post main contain affiliate links. If you purchase via these links this blog will receive a small commission, thank you for your support.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trader Joe's Weight Watchers shopping list

Trader Joe's has long been one of my favorite places to grocery shop! Not only do they have staples but they have amazing frozen food and lots of unique items that other stores don't carry. It's basically a hippie paradise of alternative foods. It's also amazing when you don't have lot of time to cook or meal prep because they have so many great pre-made and frozen foods. We can't meal prep all the time now can we? The really annoying thing about my TJ's store is there is NO internet or cell reception! Which means I cannot check point values while I'm in the store. Thus, it has been challenging for me to shop there and took a lot of trips to put this list together. If there are other must-haves from TJs please comment and I will update! If you're looking to save a few bucks on more basic items, check out my Aldi shopping list here . Or if you are new to WW check out my tips for getting your kitchen ready. All point values below were upda

Weight Watchers on a budget - Aldi shopping list

I joined Weight Watchers in an attempt to get healthy! While I thought I ate pretty healthy, there was a lot of sugar and carbs in my diet and not enough vegetables. To keep WW more affordable, I recommend shopping mostly at Aldi where fruit and vegetables are very affordable compared to "mainstream" stores. If you're new to Aldi, c heck out my post on shopping there as it has a few quirks. If you need help with kitchen equipment that can help you with WW, check out my post on preparing your kitchen for success . I also really like Trader Joe's for fancier items, check out my TJs shopping list for WW  before your next trip there. So what should you buy to help you on your WW journey? All point values below were updated in March 2021 on the MyWW+ program, the points listed are for the blue plan. I recommend using your scanner to double check point values. Let's start with the fun stuff, the snacks! A lot of my snacks on the program are fruits and raw v

Frugal weight loss solutions - itrackbites review

Last year, I bit the bullet and paid for a weight loss program for the first time with a goal to lose 20lbs. I did Weight Watchers online for about 6 months, after my intro price ended it was $20 a month but I did loose the weight I wanted. Now, for something that works, $20 a month doesn't feel like too much to me and I wasn't doing well with the free solutions like My Fitness Pal. I think when there is money on the line I am more willing to do the hard work! Nevertheless, I want to save money wherever I can. In some online Weight Watchers groups, I heard about itrackbites. It's basically a Weight Watchers knock off and I do like a good generic! Itrackbites has several free options for old Weight Watchers plans and a lot of people use it when they want to follow an older plan. For the newest Weight Watchers plan, Freestyle, you have to pay for the yearly fee. This also gives you access to some additional options on the itrackbites app like the food scanner and a restau