Skip to main content

My 9 favorite recipes for batch cooking!

Oven fajitas are a favorite!
To help save money on groceries and eating out, we cook a lot at home but cooking every night is a bummer. It is hard to come home every night from work and make something for dinner and think about what we’re both having for lunch the next day. To make it easier, I will sometimes (not always) cook in large batches so we can eat 6+ meals (3+ for each of us) from one cooking effort (and one batch of dirty dishes).

Do you get tired of eating the same thing for 2-3 days in a row? Yeah, I do too. To combat this, I usually will make two dishes and we alternate them. If I make one big batch on Sunday and another on Monday night then we can have some variety and that will basically take us through the whole work week for lunches and dinners. It also helps if I make things that can be repackaged and eaten a few different ways (ie in a wrap one day; over rice the next day). To help with the Monday meal, often I will make something in the crock pot.

Since there are only two of us, my suggested batch is enough for 6+ meals usually but if your household is bigger, you can do larger batches, but you might need a bigger pan.

These are my favorite dishes for big batch cooking!

  1. Oven chicken fajitas (4-5 chicken thighs sliced in strips and with 3-5 bell peppers cut in strips, onions, tossed in olive oil and a packet of taco seasoning; cook @350 for 40 minutes. We eat this in fajita shells or over rice with cheese on top.)
  2. Crock pot chicken (you can literally throw all the ingredients in your slow cooker and it comes out amazing! I like this over rice my fiancé likes it in a taco shell also. We also had it over egg noodles but I like rice better.)
  3. Crock pot potato bacon soup (I don’t include the cream of chicken soup and cut the cream cheese in half and throw in some shredded cheddar. Really good and cheesy! You can also use cubes of ham instead of bacon)
  4. Crock pot beef stew or beef vegetable soup
  5. Pulled pork in the crock pot (we can have this on buns, plain with a veggie side or in a quesadilla – lots of options)
  6. Roasted potatoes (cube potatoes, toss in olive oil with some seasoned salt and bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes. I make these a lot when I’m using the oven already and then we have them as a side all week.)
  7. Lasagna
  8. Spaghetti and meat sauce (this is only like 4-5 meals if I use a whole box of pasta and a pound of ground turkey or beef)
  9. Pesto pasta with veggies (again probably more like 4-5 meals but super quick to whip up).

There is nothing better than coming home from work and not having to think about dinner. Reducing cooking to a few times a week saves a lot of time and really helps with reducing eating out because there is nothing readily available and you’re tired.

What are your favorite batch recipes? I’d love to give them a try!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trader Joe's Weight Watchers shopping list

Trader Joe's has long been one of my favorite places to grocery shop! Not only do they have staples but they have amazing frozen food and lots of unique items that other stores don't carry. It's basically a hippie paradise of alternative foods. It's also amazing when you don't have lot of time to cook or meal prep because they have so many great pre-made and frozen foods. We can't meal prep all the time now can we? The really annoying thing about my TJ's store is there is NO internet or cell reception! Which means I cannot check point values while I'm in the store. Thus, it has been challenging for me to shop there and took a lot of trips to put this list together. If there are other must-haves from TJs please comment and I will update! If you're looking to save a few bucks on more basic items, check out my Aldi shopping list here . Or if you are new to WW check out my tips for getting your kitchen ready. All point values below were upda

Weight Watchers on a budget - Aldi shopping list

I joined Weight Watchers in an attempt to get healthy! While I thought I ate pretty healthy, there was a lot of sugar and carbs in my diet and not enough vegetables. To keep WW more affordable, I recommend shopping mostly at Aldi where fruit and vegetables are very affordable compared to "mainstream" stores. If you're new to Aldi, c heck out my post on shopping there as it has a few quirks. If you need help with kitchen equipment that can help you with WW, check out my post on preparing your kitchen for success . I also really like Trader Joe's for fancier items, check out my TJs shopping list for WW  before your next trip there. So what should you buy to help you on your WW journey? All point values below were updated in March 2021 on the MyWW+ program, the points listed are for the blue plan. I recommend using your scanner to double check point values. Let's start with the fun stuff, the snacks! A lot of my snacks on the program are fruits and raw v

Frugal weight loss solutions - itrackbites review

Last year, I bit the bullet and paid for a weight loss program for the first time with a goal to lose 20lbs. I did Weight Watchers online for about 6 months, after my intro price ended it was $20 a month but I did loose the weight I wanted. Now, for something that works, $20 a month doesn't feel like too much to me and I wasn't doing well with the free solutions like My Fitness Pal. I think when there is money on the line I am more willing to do the hard work! Nevertheless, I want to save money wherever I can. In some online Weight Watchers groups, I heard about itrackbites. It's basically a Weight Watchers knock off and I do like a good generic! Itrackbites has several free options for old Weight Watchers plans and a lot of people use it when they want to follow an older plan. For the newest Weight Watchers plan, Freestyle, you have to pay for the yearly fee. This also gives you access to some additional options on the itrackbites app like the food scanner and a restau